Caledonian Canal cruise

Message from Penny Davies of Gravesend SC
Hi all,
lunatics from Gravesend SC led by Penny, are planning a DB cruise along the Caledonian canal, starting aprox 22nd July 2011. We are intending to tow the boats to the western end of the canal to the start. (aprox 500 miles ) Other club members, friends family etc, might be camping, bed and breakfasting or bare boat chartering along the route.
The canal is large and has no mast lowering to contend with.
Please let any DB enthusiasts know and ask them to let me have their email so that I can keep them informed of our plans.
This cruise is in its infancy and the dates have been planned to allow plenty of time to return south for DB Nationals.
I hope that lots of people will be interestd, and if all goes to plan we should get some good publicity.

6 thoughts on “Caledonian Canal cruise

1. penny

I shall be going up to the Great glen at the end of march to check out launch sites, trailer parks, canal side camping, anchorages etc. please let me know if there is any specific info on this planned cruise that any of you want answered. Cruise is planned for 22nd July 2011. It is a 600 mile drive!!

2. penny

Hi all, the Great Glen DB cruise is scheduled to start from Lochaber Yacht club Fort William on Sunday 24th July. After launching, Widgeon will enter the Caledonian Canal, and rise to to the top of Devils staircase, where we hope to meet Steve D and team on the hired Sigma 33.The Gravesend team hope to be at Dochgarroch locks, by Thursday 28th of July where the Sigma will turn back towards Laggan Locks, leaving Widgeon , Penny and Crew to sail through Inverness to recover the boat from the North Kessock Slip.
    We would love to see any other Intrepid (daft) sailers any where along the route. Bear in mind camping is problomatic on the sides of Loch Ness. Hope to see lots of people at The Gravesend open w/e which is a week before we leave for Scotland.

3. penny

Our Great Glen adventure is now sadly over. a fantastic time was had by all, but technology let us down. Steves lap top failed and my phone is possibly in Nessies tummy. A belated blog will be issued over the next week on Gravesend Sailing Club site. Photo of widgeon sailing with Ben Nevis in the background Can be seen on James Grays Black sheep Blog ( Sheep followers). More soon

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.