7 thoughts on “Havengore Epic Cruise from Crouch to Thames

1. gary illingworth

Great adventure, loved reading about your trip, I have a question however that is not directly related to your trip but about your boat, hope you don’t mind.

I am currently looking to purchase a boat for cruising, I am inexperienced, have done some gravelpit sailing in an enterprise and an albacore but want to venture out a bit more, currently doing the RYA day skipper, so that’s a brief outline of where I’m coming from, now my question,

In your opinion is a boat like the YW dayboat a sensible move from what I have been sailing in so far or would it need an experienced helmsman to handle the boat even in non tidal waters (which is probably where I would get to the know the boat initially).

Hope you dont mind taking the time to answer this question and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you at some point.

Regards Gary Illingworth

2. Tim Post author

Gary,
    In response to your question about moving from Enterprise and Albacore to a YW Dayboat for estuary /coastal cruising I would stress that this is exactly what the YWDB was designed for with it’s stability stemming from a heavy (75 lb) steel centre plate and significant beam (5′ 8″). Additionally the rig with a fractional jib rather than genoa type makes for easier handling in strong winds. Otherwise it handles like the dinghies you have sailed in terms of responsiveness. The one downside to bear in mind is that the minimum weight of the hull including plate is 450 lbs which is a lot on a steep ramp or shore.
    Hope this helps.
    Tim

1. gary illingworth

Tim, thank you so much for your quick reply, Yes, your advice helps a great deal, I haven’t even seen a YW day boat but from what you have just said sounds ideal. I guess anything can capsize given the right (or wrong) conditions but the idea of having to constanlty fight the boat in a strongish wind puts me off a little. I have considered a Wayfarer or Wanderer but for these reasons it looks like I’ll be worried to go out in anything more than a breeze.

Either that or I just need more confidence and experience in dinghy sailing but some boats look Idylic to sail, I have looked at some u tube videos of boats like the Drascombe Dabber and the Post boat from Character boats that look more idealy suited to my requirements but again I have not seen either of these.

Perhaps what may be putting me off the bigger more heavier boats is that I may need to have assistance in launching and recovery, whereas the smaller tippier dinghy can be easily hauled up a ramp on a trolley (I have a bit of a dilema).

I’m definately not into racing, I’d just like to go cruising safely (on my own or with a group) and maybe even with an overnight stop. It is my intention and hope to prepare this winter ready for next season.

So with your views on the YW dayboat, I think I need to go and have a look at one. Just one other quick question if I may, is it common to trail this boat for every trip or is it more suited to be left on a mooring, or at a club. ?

Thanks again Tim, all the best Gary

3. Steve

Gary,
    I think most DB sailors keep their boat on a mooring, or at a Club, but trail them from time to time. (Incidentally, at Gravesend we launch all our DBs by crane – no ramps, and dry feet!). If you decide to trail frequently, you may decide to get a small power winch or something to minimise the physical effort.
    You will find the DB very stable and roomy, and ideal for cruising – and it’ll stay up in quite strong winds (with experience, F5+ under full sail is perfectly realistic).
    Its actually possible to camp very comfortably on a DB – see this blog of a week on the Caledonian Canal this summer: http://gravesendsailingclub.org.uk/gscweb/extrabits/userjournals_menu/userjournals.php?blogger.30 (although I must admit I mostly stayed on the accompanying cruiser).
    I’m sure you’d be welcome at one of the DB clubs to look at one, and maybe have a sail.

4. gary illingworth

Once again Tim many thanks for reply and everything you have said seems to make sense to me even with limited experience and knowledge so I will take on board everything you have said in helping me come to a decision at some point.

I do think that whilst I like the idea of something stable and roomy, I think I need the flexability of being able to launch and recover a boat relatively easily and maybe even singled handed too. I’m hoping to take it to different cruising grounds so ease of handling is quite important.

I’m not sure there is one boat that will meet all my needs and wants and probably I’ll have to consider what is more important in a boat for me to begin with.

Difficult decision to make with limited knowledge but I’m not going to rush into this without being completely satisfied I have given each possible choice of boat a degree of consideration, I’ll get there in the end and when I do I’ll drop you a note.

Anyway Tim it’s been good chatting and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

All the best for now. Gary

5. Tim

Gary,
    I have one further point to make about launching and recovering single handed. I have a modern combination trailer in which the launching trolley sits on top of the road trailer. Using this I have many times launched and recovered on a very steep slip (the Severn tides go in for up and down!) in reasonably mild conditions and using a small winch on the road trailer. One other important feature to say is that I have is a hole half way down the stem which eliminates the downward pull you get using the deck level attachment point.
    All the best
    Tim

6. gary illingworth

Tim Hi again, yes there will be times I expect when I shall go sailing single handed so would need to consider ease of launch and recovery. I think I may have to buy more than one boat !!!!

One big heavy one that I can take a couple of others with me without too much fear of a capsize and then something a little lighter to handle on my own, it may be a bit more twitchy but I’ll have to get used to it, if I’m not carefull I’ll spend too long looking for a boat that doesn’t exist and never do any sailing.

If I buy a boat that after a season or two isn’t exactly what I want, then I’ll sell it and move on to something a bit different, I suppose by doing that I’ll gain a degree of excperience sailing different types of boats till I do find the one that suits most of my needs. Day Boat does sound rather good though.

Thanks for chatting, I’ll let you know what happens. All the best. Gary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.