How to install a dayboat mooring

Hi

I have a YW dayboat in Croatia and now have permission to put in a mooring here for my boat. I’ve had a look online and there is a lot of conflicting advice, although this may be due to differing conditions.

I have a few questions below, if anyone can advise me that would be great. It will not be a swinging mooring – there will be a buoy to tie up to and then the other end of the boat will be tied to the shore. There is essentially zero tide here.

Q1) Should I;

a) sink an anchor as a permanent mooring

b) sink a block instead

c) sink an anchor with a smaller block on the same chain/rope

Q2) I understand the benefits (density) of using iron/granite over concrete but practically concrete is probably the only option here. What size of concrete block should I use? The local guy I spoke to just said fill an old car tyre and that should be enough but that doesn’t seem big enough to me.

Q3) Do I need to put reinforcing bar in the concrete block?

Q4) Most of the mooring failures I read about cite shackles as the culprit. What is the best way of connecting the ground chain to the block/anchor?

Q5) What is the minimum length of ground chain and rope I should use up to the buoy?

Q6) Infrastructure is very limited here so I am probably going to have to transport the block from the shore to the mooring point (about 20metres) using my dayboat. I’m probably going to cast a series of concrete blocks with holes in the centre and then chain them together in the shallows, as otherwise I won’t be able to move a single block. Any ideas on how to sling/lift the blocks in the shallows and then lower them in a controlled manner would be helpful.

I dived down today to look at the way my neighbours boats are moored and they differ – one uses a large block and the other uses two ropes, one connected to a grapple anchor via a block and the other one went too deep for me to see. The first one is a motor boat which is slightly larger than the dayboat and the second one is a sailing boat with a small cabin, bigger again than the motor boat.

I’ve done some sketches below of the situation as well which might help. I reckon block C for the motor boat is a cube 50cm in all directions.

Thanks!

Ben

(DB199)

2 thoughts on “How to install a dayboat mooring

1. Tim

Ben, You don’t mention how exposed the mooring is. Will the moored boat be exposed to significant waves as well as strong winds.
    I’m doubtful whether much relevant advice will be forthcoming from those who read this blog as the more independent owners who keep their boat on moorings they have laid themselves are unlikely to read this. But you never know!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.